Marriage licensing on the island of Maui is conducted by authorized agents contracted by the state. You must contact these agents prior to arrival to schedule an appointment and complete your marriage license paperwork as there is not a physical office exclusively for marriage licensing.
How to Apply for a Marriage License: What you need.
- The prospective bride and groom must appear together in person before a marriage license agent to apply for a marriage license. Proxies are not allowed.
- The prospective bride and groom should be prepared to provide the necessary proof of age and present any required written consents and approvals. All of the necessary documents should be obtained prior to applying for a marriage license.
- The prospective bride and groom must prepare an official application and file the application in person with the marriage license agent. Applications are provided by the marriage license agent or may be downloaded from this site (see below). The application will not be accepted if sent by either postal mail or e-mail.
- Upon approval, a marriage license is issued at the time the application is made.
- The marriage license costs $60.00, payable in cash at the time the application is made.
- The marriage license is good only in, but is valid throughout, the State of Hawaii.
- The marriage license expires 30 days from and including the date of issuance, after which it automatically becomes null and void.
- There are no state residence or U.S. citizenship requirements.
- Blood tests are not required.
- The legal age to marry is 18 years for both males and females.
- Males or females of 16 or 17 years of age who wish to marry require the written consent of both parents, legal guardian, or the family court. The parents or legal guardian do not have to be residents of the state. Consent forms may be obtained from a marriage license agent.
- Males or females of 15 years of age who wish to marry require the written consent of both parents or legal guardian, and the written approval of a judge of the family court. The parents or legal guardian do not have to be residents of the state. Consent forms may be obtained from a marriage license agent.
- Proof of age is required. A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented for anyone 18 years of age or under. A valid I.D. or driver’s license may be presented for anyone 19 years of age or over.
- If previously married, proof of original divorce decree or death certificate needs to be presented to the marriage agent by the applicant if the divorce or death was final within 30 days of applying for a marriage license. NO FAXES ARE ACCEPTED.
- Cousins may marry. However, the blood relationship between the prospective bride and groom cannot be closer than first cousins.
Are you looking for Maui Wedding Packages? Come see complete packages that provide marriage licensing assistance at www.simplemauiwedding.net or click the Maui Wedding Packages link above.